My Quest for Good and Quality Books

By Mommy Donna and Kib - May 25, 2012

I'm a sucker for books.  When I was young, I only had few books to read.  When I was growing up, I also got addicted with Sweet Valley High and  Nancy Drew books.  I even read encyclopedias because I like facts!  When I became an adult, I like reading magazines and some mystery novels.

Now that I have a son, I want my son to have a passion for reading.  I always bring my son with me whenever I buy books so that he can also choose books for himself.  Being a kuripot mom, I only bought second-hand books from Booksale.  When I learned about Scholastic Warehouse Sale, I made it to a point that I go there during sale periods.  I was able to purchase from Scholastic Warehouse Sale for 3 times already.  The Scholastic Warehouse is located in Pasig City which is 15-20 minutes away from home.  Here are some of the pictures of the books that I bought from Scholastic Warehouse:


I so love Magic School Bus!  It's a fun way of learning science concepts


Kib checking out the books that we bought



Then news about the floating bookstore is making waves on TV and newspapers.  MV Doulos had docked on Philippine ports twice but never had a chance to visit it.  When I heard that MV Doulos had retired, I got sad, thinking that I won't have the experience of buying something from the floating bookstore.  This year, MV Logos Hope docked on Philippine ports again.  I got busy last March and forgot about it.  I just remembered about it again when I saw on one of my friend's Facebook account pictures of her MV Logos Hope experience.  So, I asked her about it and she said it's worthwhile.  I searched on the internet about their schedule in the Philippines (http://www.gbaships.org/).  I was glad that they also made a stop in Subic.  My family had to go to Bataan because a relative died and I took that opportunity to visit MV Logos Hope since our place in Bataan is an hour away from Subic by bus.  I asked my cousins to go with me there since I don't know how to get to Subic.  I brought my son with me because I don't want him to miss that opportunity having riding a ship full of books.

The crew of MV Logos Hope came from different countries and work there voluntarily.  The ship is managed by a Christian organization.  Here are some of the pictures that I took from MV Logos Hope:


Me and Kib having our picture taken outside MV Logos Hope


One of the postings inside MV Logos Hope.  Can you answer this?


Kib posing on one of the book stands


Me, shopping for books


The bookstore is U-shaped.  This is one section of the bookstore, so organized like you're shopping for books at National Bookstore or Powerbooks


As you go out of the bookstore area, you will be passing on a maze-like story hall, telling the story of The Prodigal Son in a modern setting


MV Logos Hope is also into AIDS awareness.  These are some of the comments of the people who have learned about AIDS.  Me and my cousins have also went inside the room to know more about AIDS...the revelations about AIDS are very scary


The brochure about MV Logos Hope and the layout of the ship


Here are the books that we have bought at MV Logos Hope


The crew of MV Logos Hope depends on donations.  I made a donation and they gave us a button.  On the button it says, "I support Logos Hope"




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments