My Musings on Turning 40

By Mommy Donna and Kib - April 17, 2018

Nowadays, people say that 40 is the new 20...well, I will only have to partially agree with that.  

Because of technology and changing lifestyles, a lot of people in their 40s don't feel like they're old.  Most people in their 40s have a desire to keep their youth by having dermatological treatments and taking supplements.  They also keep their health on a regular check because they want to still do the things that they have been doing when they were younger.  On the other hand, there are some people in their 40s who already looked more than their age, maybe because of poor lifestyle and stress.  People are also expecting that once you reached your 40s, you're in the pinnacle of your career, and when you haven't reached anything on your career by that age, you won't get anywhere anymore until you reach your retirement age.

Being 40 is not the same for everyone.  It is unfair for us to compare our lives with each other because each and every one has his/her own time zone.

I must say that I also observed some changes when I turned 40 last year.

1.  I developed allergies.  All throughout my 39 years of existence I never had any allergies.  When I turned 40 I suddenly had this itch on my armpits and neck.  At first I only thought that the ingredients in the deodorant that I'm using give me that itch, but when it reached my neck, I already got worried.  I consulted a dermatologist and she confirmed that I had eczema.  

I found out that eczema appears when it's too hot or too cold.  My eczema appeared when we were in Ayutthaya last November and it persisted until December because of the dry weather.  It's so itchy and when it dries up it leaves a dark spot.  It also appeared when we had a winter vacation in Hong Kong last January.  I put sunflower oil to lighten those dark spots and religiously put moisturizer.  I already asked prescription for my eczema because there are days that I can no longer tolerate the itchiness.

2.  My energy level isn't the same anymore.  Before I can last the whole day, going from one place to another.  I am a certified curacha because of my jampacked schedule.  After being out in the daytime, I still have the energy to work at night until past midnight.  Now, when I got tired from doing errands in the morning, I'd rather take a rest than push myself to work.  

3.  My metabolism got slower.  I started 2017 with a slim figure, but I ended up gaining weight even if I didn't change my eating habits.  This year, I am trying to get back in shape so that my metabolism will work faster as if I'm a young woman.  Wait for my transformation, wink, wink!

4.  I am now worried about retirement.  Yes, I am a forward thinker.  I already want to prepare for my retirement so that I won't be a burden to my son.  I want to build a retirement fund so that I would be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I am not complaining that I'm already 40; it's just that there are things in my life that I need to pay more attention.  Being in 40s means that there are more to expect as you grow older.  Being in 40s doesn't mean you're getting old; it's a reminder that you have enjoy life while you can (when you are still healthy) and to also start preparing for the future.  We must not take our lives for granted.  Stay positive, healthy, and financially free!


Cheers to being 40!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments