New Milestone--Being a Mom to a Teenager

By Mommy Donna and Kib - January 05, 2021

Kib turned 13 years old two years ago, and it was a bittersweet moment for me.

I really feel sentimental about this milestone because I'll be missing the little Kib.  I know that there will be changes within him that I also need to adapt to as his mother.




Going back, it was a dream come true for me to become a mom.  As soon as I gave birth to Kib, it was love at first sight.  I would always look at him, kiss him, and hug him. I don't get tired of doing it every day.  I don't want to miss any of his milestones, that is why I also decided to work from home.  

Now that he's officially a teen, I noticed that he is slowly exercising his independence, and honestly, I'm a bit hurt about it.  I know that I need to let him decide on his own and for him to be whatever he wants to be.

Kib felt weird about the physical changes in his body. He even said that he didn't like it. However, he also knows that the changes are inevitable. 

In addition, Kib likes to stay at home most of the time. Whenever I ask him to go with me, he would ask me why do I need a companion. I feel sad that he does not like going out with me anymore even going on an errand. 

At home, Kib would stay downstairs while I stay upstairs. He would even sleep on the floor now. He does not like sharing beds with me anymore. 

Apart from exercising his independence, Kib is more outspoken now. We always have an argument especially on doing his responsibilities. On the other hand, I can see that he is also becoming more responsible because I'm always reminding him of what the real world is all about.

There are a lot of things happening around us. We often hear news about teens or young people getting into trouble. As a parent, I also worry about my son's safety once he fully asks for freedom in doing things. But I know I can only do much; all I can do is to always pray for protection and covering for him. 

I always remind him to be in the company of good people. I always remind him to be close to the Lord. I always remind him to be vigilant. I always tell him to be always kind to people no matter what. Kib has still lots of things to learn in life, and I'm there to guide him as I slowly let him spread his wings and fly on his own.

Right now, I am encouraging him to pursue his passion, which is writing and vlogging. He recently started with his blog, but I'm encouraging him too to share his thoughts on this site since this blog is all about us. 

I still miss the young Kib. I miss his baby voice. I miss him clinging to me.

Despite the changes that Kib is experiencing right now, one thing is constant: I'll be his first love.  

To the parents who are complaining about how naughty and kulit their young kids are, twelve years is very short. You'll also miss those moments when you have to shout at the top of your lungs to stop them. You'll miss their kisses and hugs because soon, they'll be kissing and hugging someone. You'll miss going out with them even if it stresses you bringing all of their stuff because soon, they'd be happier to go out with their friends. 

To the parents with young kids out there, cherish the first twelve years of their existence, no matter how difficult it is to raise a child. Build a strong relationship with them so that when they become teenagers, you will be secured that they would continue to love and trust you as they start to explore the world.

P.S. I'll tell you more stories about our dog, Bach. He is now my constant companion and baby, hihi.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments