10 Things I've Learned During The Community Quarantine

By Mommy Donna and Kib - January 11, 2021

NOTE: This blog entry was supposed to be a contest entry, but I was not able to finish it on time. I decided to publish it anyway and added more as it has been almost a year since COVID-19 has changed the way we live.


For the first time in my 43 years of existence, I've experienced a pandemic in the Philippines.

The Philippines was spared from the SARS and MERS pandemic which happened years ago. Sadly, the country was not spared from COVID-19 this year. Other countries that had experienced an outbreak in the past years were prepared for this, but overall, most countries in the world were not prepared for COVID-19, thus, the whole world was in crisis.

The community quarantine started on March 15th, and some areas ended it on May 15th. Some areas ended it a bit late due to a high number of cases.

I prepared before the quarantine took effect. I finished all my deliverables like filing my annual tax, delivering orders, purchasing materials needed for my project, shopping for food, and giving my son a haircut. However, there are still a lot of people who were not prepared for this especially those who earn on a daily basis.

Now that the government has placed some areas of the country in general quarantine, we still cannot do our regular activities.

A lot of people have lost their jobs, and yes, lives are also lost because of COVID-19. These days, we couldn't comfort families who lost their loved ones and pay our last respects to the deceased during this time because mass gatherings are not allowed.

To date, the number of cases in the country has been increasing. There are no signs that it will go down in the coming months. With this, everyone is still encouraged to their part in limiting their exposure outdoors and to take necessary precautions by keeping the surroundings clean, wearing a face mask when going out, and keeping hands clean regularly.

Some people are not used to staying at home. They do not know how to focus on working at home. Some felt boredom. There are some who also felt like they are a prisoner in their own home.

In my case, staying at home is not new to me. I have been working from home for the past 12 years and my son is homeschooled ever since. Don't get me wrong; we also feel abnormal too. We also miss going out, like going to church and to the shopping mall. We are also supposed to go to Japan in April but because of the pandemic, we have to postpone our trip. Kib is supposed to enroll in enrichment classes and I am supposed to continue with my swimming lessons. My mom is also stuck in the country (she is already based in the United States). 

Rich and poor are affected by the situation, but we have different ways of coping.

I also made this downtime an opportunity to reflect on where my life is at right now. It made me realize that there are things that we don't have control of the outcome. It also made me ponder what are the things that I have to prepare should another situation such as this happens in the future.

During the community quarantine, here are the things that kept us sane:

1. Rediscovered our talent in watercolor painting.
2. Planted new plants and rearrange the plants in our garden.
3. I encouraged my son to practice guitar.
4. Did the movie marathon.
5. Work! Thank God I have work during this time.
6. Eat! A lot of friends are selling food, so to help them, we buy what they offer.
7. Discovered new dishes.
8. Shared my thoughts about homeschooling on social media.
9. Bonded with my mom.
10. Played with our dog every day.

As a person who would always see the glass half-full, here are the things that I have learned during the community quarantine:




1. Be thankful always. No matter how small it is, be thankful. Every time you wake up, be thankful. Surviving the quarantine without getting the symptoms of COVID-19 is something to be thankful for.

2. Be content with what you have. No matter how simple it is, the community quarantine made me realize to appreciate the things I have. We are also thankful for the food packs given to us even if we don't expect it at all.

3. Be patient. The community quarantine period is indeed a test of patience. A lot of people wanted an instant response. Patience is truly a virtue that everyone should have. It is a downtime period, so expect that we cannot get the results that we wanted in a short period of time. There 
4. Be creative with the resources on-hand. There is no need to buy new things, make the most of the available resources. This is one way of saving up too!
5. Be emphatic. Don't feel superior nor inferior about what's happening around us. You may have different experiences but it does not mean that you're better. We're in this together, let's help each other bounce back!
6. Be willing to help others in need. No matter how small it is, let's help a fellow in need. God will give it back to you tenfold.
7. Be positive. Always thinking the other way around will add wrinkles to your face. Instead, smile more, appreciate what you have, and don't feel poor about yourself. Most importantly always think that God loves you! It'll help in bringing positivity into your life.
8. Be a forward-thinker. Prepare for uncertainties, in all forms. This will give you a sense of security when there are trials and challenges in your lives. Save, invest, get life insurance--these are the ways to prepare for the future.
9. Be appreciative, even on small things. Now that our activities and resources are limited, let us find things around us and be grateful for them. 
10. Be healthy. This is the most important thing that we need to do at this time of the pandemic. We need to stay healthy so that we won't contract the deadly virus. We need to survive for our family. 

Our battle against the COVID-19 is far from being over. With the new strain discovered, we need to be more careful with our interactions outside our homes. The best thing that we can do now is to learn to live with the virus and do the necessary precautions and health maintenance. Stay healthy and safe!







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments