Hello 2021!

By Mommy Donna and Kib - January 01, 2021

It has been a while since I last blogged. I got busy at work and to be honest, I started to lack passion for writing lengthy articles. I'd rather share snippets of my thoughts directly on our Facebook page. A friend of mine encouraged me to write blog entries again to get campaigns again. This year, I will try my very best to have entries at least once a week.

In addition, Kib wants to develop his writing skills. I told him that we would share this blog instead of him creating his own website. He said that he would contribute his thoughts on this site as long as he thinks it is appropriate for this niche.

I know, my stats went down. It is also my fault. I need to kick my butt to put more entries on my blog and share valuable insights with my readers.

The year 2020 has been a not-so-good year for most people but for us, we were not that much affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Well, there were canceled vacations and road trips, but apart from that, we were generally okay.

Let me recap what happened to us in 2020:




January: Manila Workshops had its last big event, the Entrepreneur and Freelancer Forum. Ginger Arboleda, our CEO, has decided to focus more on her other business, Taxumo, in the meantime. Kib was tasked to be the official photographer while I helped in the logistics. We also thought of creating a vlog about this event by interviewing some of its key speakers (watch the vlog here). My mom also arrived in the Philippines for vacation and to have a medical check (cataract). In addition, our beloved dog Bach had his surgery due to the crystals in his bladder. He had been confined at the vet hospital for nine days.


During the Entrepreneur and Freelancer Forum 2020 at the Bayanihan Center


After nine days, Bach can now go home!



February: I had my graduation at my swimming class at Bert Lozada Swim School by jumping in the deep blue sea. Yes, it was nerve-wracking but I made it! I got a bit scared because it's wavy and yes, it's very deep! But it's true, you'll float more in salty water than in pool water. Coach Angelo Lozada said that we would repeat this again so that we would gain more confidence in the water.

See the happiness on my face!


March: New opportunities opened for me! Good thing that everything had been set before President Duterte declared a community quarantine to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. My mom had finished her cataract surgery before the quarantine too, whew!

April: Supposedly we would go back to Japan for a holiday, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic which affected the whole world, countries have shut their boundaries to visitors. Some countries even canceled travel visas. It was slightly difficult for us to move around, especially that I am the only one in the family who is qualified to go out and buy the necessities. My business, Katsa Co., has also been to a halt due to difficulty in logistics. I was only able to sell face masks during this time because it's readily available. Kib also joined a virtual watercolor art class by May Palacpac of Fully Housewifed. She also encouraged me to join the classes, thus, our new Instagram account momandsonwatercolorhobbyists was born.


Happy to help our frontliners in fighting COVID-19

During one of our watercolor sessions


May: Travel restrictions got a bit relaxed when President Duterte declared a modified quarantine level. I was able to schedule an eye check-up for my mom because she was having a hard time seeing after her cataract surgery. The eye doctor said that her lenses need cleaning and we were advised to make a follow-up on the schedule because the eye center was still adjusting to the 'new normal.'

During mama's check-up. Social distancing must be observed


June: Mama's eye lenses cleaning was done, and she was already given clearance by the doctor to travel. 

July: It's our birthday month! Too bad we can't celebrate by eating at our favorite restaurant, so we just had samgyupsal and shabu-shabu party at home. I also scheduled a passport renewal appointment for my mom just to be sure too. My mom has been bugging me to schedule her departure so I booked her tickets back to the United States and inquired thoroughly about travel requirements. Kib was also officially enrolled at this time at our homeschool provider (School of Tomorrow), so hello Level 7! It was also my first time to see friends and had a short date at a mall.

At mama's passport renewal appointment


August: My mom went back to the United States together with my uncle. President Duterte once declared a strict quarantine for two weeks and I got worried because I haven't gotten my mom's renewed passport. Worse comes to worst, she would travel with her old passport since it was not yet punched. Good thing, I was able to contact DFA and appealed to get the new passport during the quarantine period.

Safe travels to both of you!


September: Thankfully, I was given a teaching load again at De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde Antipolo Campus! I had been teaching there since 2018 and I'm grateful that I still teach part-time at the same institution. Teaching is one of the things that I love doing the most. In addition, Kib joined BFit Active Kids, the Physical Education class of Bert Lozada Swim School.


Kib during his BFit Active Kids online class

It's online learning at DLS-CSB, I went to the school to borrow some books. The campus looks lonely without the presence of the students



October: It was Kib's first time to go to a mall after several months of staying at home. A friend of mine said that kids are allowed at BGC, so we went there for a breather. 

Our first mall date after so many months of staying at home


November: Kib and I went back to BGC, this time, with our dog, Bach. It's our first time to bring our dog for a walk. We weren't able to bring him on a road trip in the past because he had travel sickness. Other dog owners advised that we should bring our dog for short trips often so that he would get used to the habit. Now, he loves getting in the car and look at the window! Before I forget, we were also devastated by Typhoon Ulysses, thank God, we were not that much affected, the floodwater rose up to an inch inside our house.

Our dog looked happy because he was able to see new surroundings!

Typhoon Ulysses before the floodwater entered our house


December: I planned to go to Bataan to visit our relatives for the holiday, but the government once again implemented strict travel requirements. We only spent Christmas and New Year celebrations at home. I bought food at our favorite restaurants and ordered food in our village.


2020 is full of learnings and blessings. I am touched by the messages I have received from some friends that they were blessed by my acts and gestures. 

I hope and pray that the situation gets better this year. I am full of hope that the Lord would continue to bless me and my son. I am also happy to look forward to the full payment of my car, wee! There are lots of things to look forward to this year, so let's stay positive and hopeful.

And oh, always stay healthy, okay?!

Happy New Year everyone!

Love, Mommy Donna and Kib


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments